Amelia Davis, founder of Decorants , invites you to explore a world of interior design and home decor. Discover inspiration, tips, and resources to transform your space into a personalized haven of style and comfort.
A beautiful Kitchen is a reflection of some great efforts, accurate design and color selection, functionality, and dynamic elements. Even a single element has the capacity to make or break the kitchen interior thus, it is crucial to select the best elements suitable for the theme of the entire place. There are multiple options available for kitchen countertops including marble, granite, Quartz, concrete, SS, laminate, tile, and much more. One of these incredible options includes Butcher Block Countertops.
If you are looking for a perfect surface for your Kitchen Island or countertop, Butcher Block Countertops are one of the most versatile solutions to go for. Want to know more about butcher block countertops? Here we go!
What are Butcher Block Countertops?
Butcher block countertops are made from different species of wood and where small pieces are glued together to make a large flat surface. The various kinds of wood such as oak, bamboo, maple, cherry, and hard rock serve distinct purposes making them unique in their own ways. Also, these woods are joined in many different ways such as end grain construction where short vertical pieces are joined together and edge-grained ones where horizontal pieces are finger joined together to make a large countertop.
These countertops are very versatile and suitable for all interior styles ranging from beachy, cottage, and farmhouse styles to modern and contemporary ones. Also, the price of countertops varies according to the type of wood used that ranges from $50-$300 approx. For those looking for a cheaper option, a DIY butcher block countertop is the best idea.
The Best Butcher Block Countertop Ideas
A raw wooden top finish will provide your kitchen with a classic look and with rustic charm. It is the best option for artful styles and retro-finished kitchens. To have this traditional and timeless décor option, walnut butcher block is the right option to go for. With usage and time, this will go even darker and more lustrous.
Having a hardwood floor matched with a brown or gray color scheme looks amazing as well as brings out the great view. This addition will bring out the whole retro theme of the place and also is an easy maintenance beneficial in the long run. The solid wooden countertop shines out when paired with a muted color like blue and gray.
Want a kitchen that is luminous and inviting? Go for an urban industrial kitchen design for your desired kitchen and to have a homey atmosphere. To achieve the urban industrial décor, go for a Maple edge grain counter and wait for the magic it brings to your kitchen. Custom built kitchen island for an urban industrial look is all your kitchen needs. Trust us!
A thin butcher block countertop of about 3/4 inch with a maple wood finish accents the kitchen in a transitional-looking place. This wood gives a layout that is so warm and inviting and it looks more beautiful, especially in the mornings. Also, if you are not using this top for food preparation, conversion varnish is the ideal choice.
Create a focal point in your sun-drenched transitional kitchen with this coastal and sandy blonde butcher block island. Go for beige wood countertops and pair them with warm, mid-tone blue to give a perfect coastal-inspired contrast. Such a kitchen gives bright vibes and an effortless glow to the place.
Clean Kitchen Island
If you own a small kitchen area but want to incorporate butcher block into the place, a clean, sleek, and uncluttered hardwood kitchen top is a lifesaver. You can also add cabinetry underneath this island to get the most out of the place. Keep the rest of the kitchen neutral to highlight your custom butcher block countertop island.
Mix & Match Wood Tones
Modern and contemporary style is all about going a step ahead to elevate the décor of the place. One such idea to give a modern look to your kitchen is to mix and match the wood tone of the butcher block top. Getting light and dark tones with matching interior colors can make your kitchen look one of a kind and give it a personalized feel.
Bright + Bold
Want a bold dramatic kitchen with a bold color scheme? We have got your back on this. If you are going for bold colors in the kitchen, dark countertops will break the look and will steal the focus. Instead, go for a white oak countertop to draw the eyes to the natural and obvious focal point of the design.
Go for a natural and dark wooden tone with your top and pair it with all-white cabinetry and décor. Pair this décor with other wood elements such as a vent hood wrapped in barn wood. This will give a unique look to your kitchen with a perfect farmhouse feel.
A smaller kitchen needs to utilize all the available space and has very little space available for additional décor. Go for a butcher block countertop that has ample space for storage, meal prep, and additional space to add functionality to a modest farmhouse kitchen.
Which Finish to Choose for your Countertop?
Usage and the finish go hand in hand for custom butcher block countertops. There are various finishes available and you have to be smart while choosing the finish based on the way you are using the top as all the finishes serve specific purposes.
- If you want to change the color of the countertop, you need to apply oil-based or water-based stain to the top.
- If you do not want a food safe or scratch resistant countertop, you can apply a polyurethane coat and you are good to go.
- Want a food safe finish? Go for natural finishes like tung oil, beeswax or mineral oil if you are ready for regular maintenance. Long term solution for this coat is resin products like waterlox or hardened tung oil.
Pros and Cons of Butcher Block Countertops
- Butcher block countertops are much cheaper than marble and granite ones.
- It works with every style of interior from modern to traditional and can be easily mixed and matched with other elements.
- These countertops are easy to install for both ready-to-install and DIYs.
- These tops are durable and are easy to sand down if they develop damage over time.
- The texture and lovely tones of this countertop are best among other tops.
- Butcher Block countertops are not resistant to scratches and heat as stone tops.
- Some surfaces like laminate are cheaper than butcher block tops.
- Granite and quartz tops are easy to clean and don’t show dust and grime while in butcher block it clearly appears.
- Butcher block needs regular care and maintenance while other tops are effortless to maintain.
How to maintain Butcher Block Countertops?
- Do not put scalding pots or dishes on the top to prevent damage.
- Remove the stains instantly with lemon juice, one cup of water, and a tsp of hydrogen peroxide or salt. Rub the stain with a damp cloth.
- Sand down your butcher block countertops whenever required.
- Do not use harsh chemicals or bleach for cleaning the top as they may damage the polish and finish of the wood.
- For natural finishes like beeswax or mineral oil, you have to keep your countertops protected and conditioned by reapplying the finishes every 4-6 weeks.
Lastly, the addition of Butcher block countertops may create a homely and warm look yet you need to consider whether this is the right choice for your kitchen preferences as they need effort to maintain. All in all, the incorporation of butcher block countertops makes your kitchen beautiful and provides a soothing view with elegant and modern decor. If you are ready to provide for the maintenance, go get one for yourself now!